Table of Content:
With the right touch!
The canon EOS 550D may not be top of the line-up being offered by the canon series but it still has knockout features, off course it is a far cry from being a replacement for EOS 7D or any other superior model. But to relatively experienced users and with the right insight into lighting and understanding of composition the EOS 550 can work wonders. The camera is not flawed when it comes to picture quality and sophisticated visual results, on that the camera stay true to the canon tune of quality and assurance. At the end of the day the camera is another beautiful piece of technology that can be worked with the right pair of hands and a good lens to support the classy body.
The Canon EOS 550D is not quite Canon's highest-rated customer digital SLR, but it still has a myriad of worthy features that are quite good within a budget that want a close quality with the EOS 50D or the delicate and smart sensibility of the EOS 7D. Naturally, the EOS 7D falls in the category of high-class machines that are budget heavy and delicate frames to work with and strictly speaking for professional use mostly. A novice will not be able to scratch the surface of the camera’s potential without the proper training and knowledge for it.
Despite the fact the EOS 550D is below the shelf both in budget and features than the 50D in the cluttered and messy line-up by Canon, some features of the EOS 550D beats the 50D. A great example is the utilization of more megapixels than the EOS 50D. The EOS 550D, though an apparently lesser model offers18 mega pixels where as the smarter EOS 50D offers a clearly less amount of 15.1 mega pixels. The more refined HD video properties, with an added capacity to provide physical calibration of exposure gives EOS 550 an added edge over the more advance model.
Definitely an upgrade!
This model is more precisely suited to the needs of the advanced amateur or entry level photographer who has gotten the knack and hang of all matters visual. The presence of the Canon 550D puts a lot of demands on Nikon to react with an appropriate model and hence came the the “Nikon D300s series”. Although the Nikon offered series are a sturdy kind and offer a notably still SLR, the models lag behind when it comes to the megapixel count. The refined HD movie choices of the EOS 550D trump the Nikon series by a mile. Even the express model Nikon D90 looks a bit old-fashioned in contrast to the Canon EOS 550D.
The budget also falls more in the favor of a canon; a D300s with kit lens will charge you a quite a few hundred more from your wallet than the 550D model. The price range of the Canon cameras is considered reasonable everywhere.
Prices in Malaysia
When Canon EOS 550D was introduced in Malaysia it was priced at RM 2860 which is way lower than its predecessor.Over the last few months the price has stabilized around RM 2700 .The price for the entire kit with the memory card and basic lens is RM 2760 (906 USD) which is quite a deal.On Amazon.com and other online merchants the price margin is there but if you intend to buy on the web it is suggested that you do not buy the entire kit rather just the body, get your own lens, card and bag to avoid discomfort.Although the price difference is about RM 200 compared to other models i personally feel ,investing in this model is good value for money.
Pros and Cons
- Excellent camera, it is indeed the flagship of all amateur Canon cameras.
- Great video quality - this is undoubtedly an imperative bonus for photo cameras
- The Canon EOS 550D is exceptionally fast. It can power on and shoot in less than 0.3 second. This might not make it the fastest but its still speedy enough for its class
- Overall, the 550D presents the best image quality for this class. Its pictures are great in color and from a more dynamic range. This outweighs its marginally weaker noisy results.
- It has no software that is included for converting videos. You have to search.
- Again if you record more than 4GB of video in about 12 minutes, the camera stops recording.
- The structure of the camera is a disappointment, the plastic body alone makes the camera fragile and not all that adventurous
- The kit lens are very basic and lackluster and quite the letdown
- The confined ocular viewfinder gives little room for a better composition and is uncomfortable.
- The top dial is quite chaotic and more of a design problem, it causes confusion and annoyance for the user